Upholstery cleaning is one of the best ways to keep your furniture looking good and new. You can easily add a touch of elegance to your home by having your upholstery regularly cleaned. Taking care of your upholstery starts during the buying process. When choosing upholstery, you typically factor in the color of your walls, ceiling, carpet and other furniture. But it is also important to take into account the material from which the upholstery is made.
Upholstery fabric suffers wear and tear over time. It helps to know which material are durable and requires less maintenance. Knowing the upholstery material also helps determine which method of upholstery cleaning to do in the future.
After you’ve done your research about the upholstery materials, you may find that proper maintenance isn’t at all complicated. There are certain cleaning methods you can easily do on your own, while others require the assistance of professionals. The following are some tips to keep in mind while cleaning your upholstery:
• Fresh stains are easier to remove than old ones. This means you should try to remove stains as quickly as possible, when it hasn’t penetrated yet deep into the fabric.
• A common problem with upholstery is faded colors. Aside from daily use, exposure to direct sunlight as well as to bright neon and halogen lights contributes to discoloration.
• Upholstery made out of natural materials are more prone to wear and tear because these materials are usually sensitive to dry air and low humidity.
• Before cleaning the whole upholstery, consider testing on a small, hidden area to see how the material reacts with the product and method you plan to use. This helps you avoid potential damage to the upholstery when you use the wrong product or cleaning method.
• There are three popular mechanical methods of cleaning upholstery: vacuum cleaning, brush cleaning and rub cleaning.
• Use brushes with soft cloth particularly when cleaning smooth and delicate material.
• Experts suggest cleaning from the outside in. Localize the stains and clean them one after another. This should be done regardless of the cleaning method you are using.
• You have the option of using dry or liquid detergents when cleaning fabrics. It is best to do your research and determine which one to use for each upholstery material. Remember that one product may work great for a certain material but cause damage to another.
• For flax upholstery, never use detergents.
These tips should help keep your upholstery clean and fresh. If you don’t have enough experience or you lack access to the necessary products and equipment, then it is best to hire a professional upholstery cleaning service to get the job done for you. More tips by clicking here.